Thursday, July 16, 2009

Juliet

Yesterday for breakfast, Betty brought be a gigantic block of cheese. Just cheese. In case I was bored by beans. I can't eat that much cheese! I managed to convince her that beans are fine, and I finished the whole plate just to pacify her. I've noticed that when I travel, no one is content to believe me when I say I'm getting enough to eat. Apparently if you don't eat meat, you must need to eat your body weight in food to make up the difference. It's that attitude that led to me putting on several pounds in China, much to everyone's shock since they were all convinced I was wasting away. I don't want to be rude, but I really don't need a mountain of food.

The dig is starting to catch up with is, and we took a bit longer to get to the site than usual today. We started chatting with this really blonde girl called Juliet who is doing the training course. She is amazingly excited about everything. She's entertaining everyone. A typical exchange with her goes something like this:

"Oh my God, I FOUND something!"

"What?"

"I found an arrowhead!"

"...that's a tile."

"But it's pointy!"

"...it's a broken tile."

"Oh my god, I found a TILE! It's MASSIVE!"

She also has all sorts of odd questions for us like "What do you DO in the U.S.?" and reacts to our answers as though it's another planet. Also "What do you eat in the U.S.?" to which I wanted to reply that we've actually developed a means of human photosythesis and no longer have to eat and that the sandwich was just for show. The odd thing is she's spent time in the States, but behaves like it's some fairyland that people are still debating the existence of.

Here's a view of the area we've been working on(that's my wall, just below the wheelbarrow).


Fran and Rachel are working in the area in which everyone is standing. And yes, Clive has a habit of disrobing when it gets overly warm outside.


We're all developing really strange tan lines. I have a stripe across my lower back and down either shoulder blade, and Jack has a large circular spot on his elbow that has tanned. Just a spot. Alice has been strapping her iPod to her arm everyday and now she has a band across her upper arm. In an unrelated note, I have discovered that I have the ability to crumble concrete simply with my 100-yard stare. I've decided that it's a superpower, and it's helping me clear my area of demolition material. Clive wants the large bits of mortar in one piece, but I can't help it if I have superpowers, right?

Tomorrow's Friday, and we're so ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment