Wednesday, July 15, 2009

English Breakfasts, 2.0

So Keith had a late night last night and looked really tired at breakfast. We asked him what he had been up to, and he said he had gone to a concert in London last night. Which concert, you ask? What concert would our clean-cut, sweater vest and button down young man go to? Why, Nine Inch Nails, of course! Seriously, who knew? We also discussed the increasingly large breakfasts we're all being served. Mine has now grown to include a bowl of oatmeal, with the result that I was so full I could barely walk. People can't possibly actually eat like this every day here, and Keith assures me they don't, but a "full English breakfast" seems to be a selling-point for Bed & Breakfasts.
Alice and I have decided that we are tired of digging through demolition material and finding only snail shells and animal bones, so we have decided that before we leave we will find a whole human skeleton clutching a chest of gold coins.

Clive, our supervisor, outside the site hut.

Jack, in the yellow shirt, David Rudling in the back.

Rachel, working on her area.

Here you can see the burnt area(under the bucket).


Fran, working on her area. She's very good.

Our finds tray. As you can see, we've found lots of animal bones including a nice humerus with a perforated olecranon fossa.

Looking into the animal humerus from the proximal end.

Distal end of the animal humerus.

Alice, looking for a skeleton clutching a pot of gold. Or building a sand castle, I can't tell which.

This is the flint wall I've been cleaning.

Mortar has to be sorted so it can be weighed and catalogued. I bet you didn't know that.


Look at all that demolition material!

This is a slow worm, a kind of legless lizard. I think it's very pretty, but Alice stepped right over it without realizing it was there.


Betty was nice enough to wash our trousers for us, since they've become very very muddy. Back to the Royal Oak for dinner, I had a goat cheese and red onion tart, which was delicious and had the flakiest crust! I'm worried I'm going to put on a massive amount of weight over here, everything has cheese in it. I'm also developing a taste for the local brew. We chatted with the owners a bit, who offered us an umbrella to walk home, as it was sprinkling outside, but we don't mind the rain. We're from the Pacific Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment